Saturday, November 29, 2014

NaNoWriMo 2014

Tomorrow is the last day for NaNoWriMo this month and unfortunately I'm not going to finish.  In fact, I'm not even close.  While I had high hopes for this year, it just never came together fast enough.  Too many distractions and not enough self-motivation to play catch up.

This book is my first attempt at a YA novel but I don't think that had anything to do with the slow start.  A more realistic reason could be that this is also my first novel with a main character who is female.  It may sound sexist, but being a man and writing a story that follows a young woman takes a bit of a mental shift and then some effort to make sure I'm staying in character.  Probably by the second book, I'll be able to stay in rhythm easier, but at the start, it is slow going.  As with any story I'm learning more about the characters and their ways of thinking as the story unfolds.  I've already repurposed one character and added another from my original cast but that's the great thing about writing.  I don't have to anticipate things going wrong because they usually work themselves out in the writing.

Anyway, I have the first ninety-plus pages done andI'm about to start chapter six.  The main character, Talia, has uncovered powers that no one has seen before and now the process of discovering what she can do with them and how others want to use and/or exploit them has begun.  This will fill out most of the middle of the book along with her budding romance and helping her new friends with their own dangerous pursuits.  I'm still hoping to get this all done by Jan. 27th (especially since a PS4 may be on the way for my birthday).

No comments:

Post a Comment